International Africa Open Debate Invitation
Ishik Medical and Education Foundation and Feza Schools cordially invite your school to the 2nd Africa Open Debate Championships, known in short as “Africa Open” from the 30th March until 2nd April 2019 at the Feza International School (FIS) Salasala, Dar es Salaam campus.
Africa Open continues the efforts of the pioneering debate movement in Tanzania using the world schools style of debate. We have invited schools from around Tanzania, East Africa and around the world to ensure robust competition. The winning team will receive a winning trophy as the champions of the Africa Open and other special prizes which will be announced at the competition.
We have invited Dominic Mwakifulefule, founder and executive director of Tanzania Competitive Rhetoric Organization to serve as Chief Adjudicator for the competition. He will be joined by Ms Rose Ndichu, executive director of the Kenya National Debate Council as Co-Chief Adjudicator. The tournament cap is 60 teams (180 students) and 90 judges (3 per room). There is no cap for the number of public speakers a school can register.
NB: Debate and public speaking will run concurrently, meaning that a student cannot do both.
Motions for Public Speaking and Debate will be announced on Tuesday 04th September, 2018. Training materials and the World Schools Manual will be provided as soft copies for schools to print out and familiarize themselves with the debating style. Schools can also refer to the acclaimed international trainer Ms Bojana Skrt’s debate blog http://betterdebatemanual.wixsite.com/better to learn advanced methods of debate.
DEBATE AND PUBLIC SPEAKING MOTIONS
Registration is currently open and is a strictly online process on www.africaopendebate.org
On debate team can have up to 5 speakers (3 principal speakers and 2 reserves)
REGISTRATION fee: $120 per person
Observer fee: $120 per person
Public Speaking: $50 per person
The registration fee includes the following for the whole duration of training and tournament days (March 30th – 2nd April, 2019):
- Training Fees
- Three meals a day for the duration of the competition
3. To and fro transportation from hotel/hostel/dormitory for the duration of the competition
4. Pickups and drop offs to the airport/bus station
5. Competition Running Costs
International participants will pay additional costs for accommodation based on what is best suited for them and their budget. Below are the otions:
- Four Star Hotel: $80 per person per night (Sharing)
- Three star Hotel: $50 per person per night(Sharing)
- Hostel Hotel: $20 per person per night (sharing)
- School Dormitory $10 per person per night (sharing)
NB: Single rooms can be requested at a separate fee. Please email us at email@example.com to inquire rates.
A number of excursion options are available for those who are interested. A school can choose to arrive a day or two before the competition or leave a day or two after. Zanzibar Island, Mbudya Island or shopping at Kariakoo are some of the excursion options offered to those that would be interested. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to book an excursion day(s).
- Monday 3rd September 2018: Website (www.africaopendebate.org ) is live online and invitations sent.
- Tuesday 4th September 2018: Early Registration opens
- Tuesday 4th September 2018: Announcement of Motions
- Friday 1st March 2019: Early Registration closes
- Friday 1st March 2019: Early Registration Payment Deadline
- Monday March 4th March 2019: Late Registration Opens
- Friday 15th March 2019: Late Registration Closes
- Friday 15th March 2019: Late Registration Payment Deadline
Friday 29th March 2019 (Arrivals)
Saturday 30th March 2019 (Training Day)
Sunday 31st March 2018 (Day 1: Debate)
Monday April 1st 2018 (Day 2: Debate)
Tuesday April 2nd 2018 (Final Day)
Wednesday 3rd April 2018 (Excursions Day/Departure day)
All inquiries and questions should be directed to email@example.com
Visit our website www.africaopendebate.org to read further on the tournament and for telephone inquiries, call/Whatsapp +255 685 396774 or +255 684 699172. We wish all prospective participants the best of luck in their preparation for the motions and looking forward to seeing you at Africa Open.